Wednesday, 8 August 2012

That Sad Look on a Little Beagle's Face When He Can't Jump Around Like a Lunatic and be a Nuisance!!


Okay so anyone who follows me on Facebook will be well aware of the fact that my precious little Beagle Alfie has managed to hurt his hip!  We first noticed this when I'd got back from a walk last week and he tried to jump up on the sofa and fell down funny.  He later couldn't get settled and started crying and being all un~Alfie like.  So I took him to see Kristi, the girl who I'd got him from to see what she thought...due to his hyperactivity, he's started limping before after long walks/mental run abouts on the beach and what not before.  The main thing she was always told to do was to get him to rest and give him some aspirin.  So I started doing that...which trust me, trying to get a dog as hyper as mine to stay still, it's no small feat!!  I was still taking his little hobbly self out on little walks, making sure he got plenty of rest in between.  After he wasn't getting better I had a consultation with the emergency vet who said I'd been doing the right thing and to keep giving him the aspirin and to see how he was after the weekend.  So Monday came and I decided he still wasn't getting properly better, he'd not been sleeping in my bed with me and instead in his own (which was a total warning sign!!) so took him to see Kristi and we both decided to call the vet back.  I was told to come down immediately so called my parents and daddy came to pick us up and took us down.

When we saw the vet, due to Alfie being, well...Alfie...despite being in so much obvious pain he was still trying to hobble around and when she was pushing in his hip area he was getting all squirmy and crying.  So she gave him a steroid injection and told me to come back today so he could get an X-Ray, although he'd have to be given an aesthetic so they could get a good feel at the obviously injured area.  So I got the mother to come pick us up and drop us off, then let my little poopsicle be taken in for the day and then I went to work.  As I have a freak~tarded signal on my phone on the Arbroath High Street I had to dig out the shops phone number...at which point the vet just reminded me that they need it as due to the fact they're giving an aesthetic then anything can happen, and then that's it...the Jen~brain kicks in!!  So on that stressed out note I leave the vet and make my way to work, as I walk past a stand selling local strawberries and plants I think, "ooh, need to get some new plants for Flopsy cemetery!"  That was it, my little headcase brain then goes into thinking about my precious bunny and reminded me how much I fucking hate going to the vets!!  My god I hate the vets!!  Like I am a hysterical fucking mess going to the dentist and need to be knocked out, but I'd rather take daily visits to the dentist and get my baby back than be reminded how much it fucking hurts even thinking about her.  So yeah, put Flops together with having to take my sisters ratty Pink Eyed Pete to get put down and knowing that my precioussssss beloved Westie is getting older each year, I am the first to admit how much of a crazy person I get when in a vet!!  So leaving my little Beagle~toes in there, the creature I love most jointly with bunnies on the face of the planet and yeah...I'm a bit of a mess!!  :'(


Anyhoo, so later on in the day and I get a call from the vet at the shop and vet told me that nothing showed up on the X-Rays so they don't think he's broken his hip, but that even when under, when they were manipulating the muscle area in the hip, he was yelping and squriming.  :(  That's not good!  I feel like such a dick that he's obviously been in this much pain and I've not known it was that bad!!  God damn you Alfie being such a soldier of a dog!!  The vet also said that it could be an infection in the bone or muscle...by this point I was too busy trying not to cry so I'm not exact on their thoughts.  She said they took blood and could send it off just in case but that it would cost me another £30 odd and that she'd let me think about it.  They have given him anti-biotics so they thought that would help clear anything up just in case!

So at the end of the day, they've given him anti-biotics, anti-inflammatories and painkillers and told him to REST, REST, REST!!!  I was advised that if I had a cage/crate then to put him in that but as he's been so depressed, he's just been lying in his bed with a pillow anyway.  Although, heehee, just there...he totally bounced up and chased Jonah, the bunny!!  He's not allowed to do this but it's nice to see a bit of normal Alfie back.  So hopefully the drugs are working!!  But yeah, his cage/crate, it's still big enough for him to get up and walk in and if he was locked in that, it would more just frustrate and upset him more!  He's better just being ignored in his bed.  As hard as that is too, when he's got his little head on his pillow with his blankey over him.  He looks so freakin' cute!!

I think what makes this harder is that I have no idea what actually happened in the first place...has he hurt himself showing off in front of Hamish (who I've spent past week looking after!!), or was it truly as simple as him jumping up on sofa funny!?!! I dunno.  Part of me has this whole idea that he has been kung fu bunny kicked by Jonah, who is trying to take the dawg down...but then that is just me being mad, haha.  It was just last night when Alfie was totally depressed and Jonah was hopping into his bed and giving him kissies, that was hard!!  People are cruel and mean but there is nothing that hits you harder than when an animal picks up on another animals pain...especially a Beagle and a Bunny.

But yay, so fingers crossed, with drugs and rest my little monster will recover and we'll be going on doggie dates with his boyfriend Bailey in no time!!  Yes, my boy Beagle has a boyfriend...haha.  I can't wait to meet up with Bailey's owner Brian and let the mutts have a run around.  He has a Golden Retriever and honestly, Alfie and Bailey, they're so in love with each other, haha.  It's like they run alongside each other looking at each other with that dazed look in their eye.  Lol.  I want to see that look again so badly!! :)

And just a last minute thought...how much of a fucking horrible nightmare are vet bills!?!!  I urge everyone to always make sure that they have insurance on their pets because you never want to sacrifice them due to the horribleness of vet fees!!  And they are cruel fees.  In under 24 hours I gained £193 odd in vet fees...that is not cool!!  I think for me, as an animal person, I think, a person could be seen and treated and not cost a thing...but for my dog!!!  But then I'm an animal person.  And I live in Scotland, a place where we are stupidly lucky with our medical care, even if we try to complain about it!!  We don't appreciate it.  Maybe we should, a whole lot more!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm am so glad he seems to be on the mend, and I am so there with you on the vet bills. When we lost my little vicious shadow Lard the cat (yes, he was on the big side, ginger tom!) to pancreatic cancer it cost an absolute fortune and I was so glad of the insurance, over £300, and again re travel insurance when I was in hospital in Austria on holiday with pneumonia. It's not worth scrimping on, it was bad enough grieving for my companion of 13 years or lying in hospital on an antibiotic drip without worrying about being crippled by the cost.

    ReplyDelete